YouTube is the second most visited website in the world, with over five billion views daily it is practically the search engine for video content. With that much traffic generated daily, it’s a no brainer that YouTube is one of the best places to monetize your craft. Are you a budding or experienced YouTuber? There are two broad methods of making money via YouTube which will be discussed and this guide will help you get started on how to go about it step by step, without further ado let’s get to it.
STEP 1: CREATE YOUR CHANNEL
Your channel is your personal presence, just the way it is on other social media platforms like Instagram or Twitter, note that your account name matters a lot, unlike other platforms it’s highly recommended that you use something your audiences can easily remember, try to keep it simple and professional. If you have an account already you can use the “Add keywords” to select words relevant to your content which will help your potential audience find you easily. This can be done on web and mobile. See the images below for guide.
STEP 2: UPLOADING YOUR VIDEO
This is both the easiest and trickiest part, you need to find a peculiar interest and style then stick to it since inconsistency in contents when it comes to YouTube is generally counter-productive. Your content can either make or break your channel so it’s advisable to do all it takes to ensure your video is of top-notch quality before uploading, here are a few things you should have ready before you start creating:
- Quality cannot be overemphasized, it is recommended that you acquire a decent camera or webcam (don’t use a phone). Webcams are the best bet if you are on a budget since they’re generally cheaper than cameras.
- You will need a video editing tool to retouch your videos to make slight changes or corrections, see here for some free samples
- Set up great lighting and backdrops to add some life to your videos
Okay you’re all set, see images below for a guide on how to upload
STEP 3: GET AUDIENCE
Gathering audience is key to increasing your chances of monetizing your YouTube channel, as discussed in STEP 2 a solid content is all it takes for your video to go viral (although this isn’t necessary to earn). There is no clear cut method to earn viewers and subscribers for your page, however, there are actions to be taken that will increase the chances of growing your audience exponentially here are some effective ways of pulling the audience to your YouTube page and start generating views in no time.
- Share your videos to other social media platforms, write a very captivating caption that will interest people enough to want to check your page out.
- Engage your audience at the comments section, interact with viewers by answering questions or showing appreciation to those that commend your work.
- Ask viewers to subscribe to your page at the beginning or end (or both) of your video as well as announcing when the next video will drop, don’t forget to fulfill your promise, you don’t want to keep your audience waiting.
- Take it a step further by writing a blog about your channel and providing a link to your YouTube page in the content.
Now that you’ve gotten an ample number of subscribers or views it’s time to take it to the next level.
STEP 4: ACTIVATE GOOGLE ADSENSE
With Adsense, you gain money every time someone clicks on the ad and a little more when it’s viewed. Go to Google Adsense and sign up. You will need a PayPal or Bank Account as well as a verifiable mailing address.
STEP 5: MONETIZE YOUR PAGE
In order to start making money off of YouTube, you will have to monetize your page which will allow YouTube to place adverts on your videos just like the ones you see on popular pages before the videos start. Note that you need to get at least 4,000 watch hours to start earning money via YouTube. See images below on for guidance.
STEP 6: TRACK YOUR PROGRESS
You can use YouTube’s inbuilt analytics tool to check out how your video is performing in details such as audience demographics, earnings, views, etc. see the guide below on how to get started.
STEP 7: BECOME A YOUTUBE PARTNER
The YouTube Partner Program or YPP is a system where popular channels owners can seek to earn from their videos and thus become partners in the YouTube revenue generation process.
The main feature of the YPP is that once a channel meets the thresholds of the program, YouTube enables advertising on the channel and starts paying for the views on those ads. The ads are provided by YouTube selectively in collaboration with the bidders. Whenever the ad is viewed or clicked, the advertisers pay YouTube and YouTube, in turn, pays the video creator for the ready audience and reach provided.
The thresholds of the program ensure that a channel is popular and profitable enough for advertisers. Currently, there are two requirements
- 1000 subscribers
- 4000 hours of watch time in the last 12 months.
STEP 8: BECOME A YOUTUBE AFFILIATE MARKETER
How about making some money through commission when you sell a product? That’s right lots of companies are out there offering some really cool deals to affiliate marketers for promoting their products or services.
The process involves placing affiliate links in the actual videos using annotations or video descriptions which will include links to the products you’re reviewing when a purchase is made using your affiliate link you get a commission. There is a number of affiliate marketing networks such as www.referrals.com.ng where you earn some money when you successfully make sales. There are a couple of ways you can drive an audience to your page as an affiliate marketer and I’ll share some with you.
- Comedy: The highest ranking Nigerian YouTube channel is currently Mark Angel Comedy with 4.1million subscribers and millions of views per video, it’s obvious that comedy is something that is loved by most which can be a very niche to invest in.
- Reviews: This involves product reviewing; for instance, you can review a phone describing it’s features, hints, tips, etc this is particularly useful to relieve buying anxiety and further helps your viewers to make decisions on products to buy.
- Training: Many training organizations utilize YouTube to engage their viewers. Do you have something you are really good at and you can teach it? Then this is a niche for you, gather thousands and millions of viewers by creating training videos which are really useful for affiliate marketing since you can also train viewers are to handle complex products.
- News and Gists: Celebrity gossips, Breaking news, Entertainment updates etc are proven methods to draw viewers unto your page, a good example is Adeola Fayehun’s page who is known for socio-political commentary on events happening in Nigeria.
CONCLUSION AND PRO TIPS
Building a successful YouTube page that can earn you thousands of dollars require dedication and time, two things you must be ready to invest, it doesn’t happen overnight but with a well-defined strategy, you can be earning hundreds of dollars in just a month. Here are some useful pro tips to get you some extra bulks.
- Sell your Products/Services: Do you have a product/service you are offering? You can use your channel to sell your goods and services, another way is to become a merchant for large e-commerce sites like Jumia or Konga. Mentioning your products in your videos (while also providing links in descriptions) you can direct traffic to your spot on the e-commerce platform.
- Attract Sponsors: Some YouTubers thrive off the sponsorship, in order to return the favor these pages dedicate some time to advertise their sponsors usually at the beginning or end of the video. A well-written proposal about your cause followed by great content is a sure way to grab the attention of a potential sponsor. However, if your content is really good and you have lots of loyal viewers you stand a chance of being approached by one.
To sum it up making money on YouTube doesn’t have to depend on advertising and it certainly doesn’t mean being held back by new YouTube advertiser policies that may change any time. The good thing is that you can combine two or more ways of making money on YouTube in order to boost your monthly earnings.
WE ARE TECHNOLOGY PARTNERS
WE FIND YOUR CUSTOMERS ONLINE
BE A PARTNER
Every business person knows the importance of technology these days and they are all willing to patronize technology services. You probably know a handful of business people that need any of the services we offer. Every business around you certainly need at least one of the services we offer & that is the opportunity for you. Simply point us to their direction and earn as much as six figures. See further information here.